Stretching is one of the most crucial parts of your training routine, but it is often skipped not only by beginners but also by true sport buffs. Find out what regular stretching can do for your body and discover four key principles of smart stretching.
1. Improve your mobility range and suppleness
Regular stretching allows you to maintain the appropriate muscle length and therefore, the right range of motion. This will help you keep fit and it will make it easier for you to do other exercises.
2. Prevent injuries and lesions
If you make sure you have the right range of motion, you will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an abrupt change of position.
3. Reduce your stress levels and relieve tension
Stretching lets your body relax and reduce stress levels. If you are prone to excessive tension in certain muscle groups (e.g. in your neck or shoulders) in stressful situations, the right kind of stretching exercises will help you to relax.
4. Improve your body posture
Stretching improves your posture, making it more upright, helps to straighten your back and open your chest.
1. Always warm up for at least 5 minutes before you stretch..
2. Do not make pulsating, jerky movements – they might lead to an injury
3. Stretch in a static position and as your breathing gets deeper, also deepen your position through gentle movements
4. Do not stretch directly after strenuous weight and interval training.